Director Identification Number (“DIN”)
A Director Identification Number is a unique 15 digit identifier system designed to verify and track the corporate history of individual directors and their relationships to companies. It serves also to protect the privacy of directors by allowing them to be identified on public registers without disclosing dates of birth, full names and residential addresses.
Who needs a Director ID?
From November 2021, you will need a Director ID if you are a Registered Officer, being a person who is appointed Director or Alternate Director of an Australian entity including:
- any Company which includes a company acting only as a Trustee
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island Corporation (director under the CATSI Act)
- Charity or not-for-profit organisation that is a company
- Registered Australian body or Foreign Company (ARBN)
- Company Secretaries do not need a Director ID.
When is it needed?
- Existing Directors appointed on or before 31 October 2021 must apply before 30 November 2022.
- New Directors appointed between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022 must apply within 28 days of appointment.
- All Directors appointed from 5 April 2022 must apply before their appointment.
How to apply?
The easiest and fastest way to apply is online. Whilst you will still be required to verify your identity, information as already provided to the ATO using your MyGovID will expedite the process.
The online process will only be available from November 2021. If you would like to apply prior to this or do not have a MyGovID, then you will be required to also complete a manual application form that will be available on the abrs.gov.au website.
When applying, please ensure you have the following identification documents and information available:
- Tax file number
- Residential address as registered with the ATO
- Bank account details (as held by the ATO)
- Superannuation account details – including your member number and the funds ABN
- A dividend statement with the investment reference number
- A PAYG Summary issued in the last two years
If you do not have a MyGov ID and thus need further identification documents, you will be required to submit the following as proof of your identify:
Primary documents – one of the following
- Australian full birth certificate (extracts and commemorative certificates are not acceptable)
- Australian passport (including passports that have expired in the past two years)
- Australian citizenship certificate or extract from a Register of Citizenship by Descent
- Visa (if you are using a foreign passport but you are still in Australia).
Secondary documents – two of the following
- Medicare card
- Australian driver’s licence or learner’s permit. This must show your photo and signature, and the address on the card must match your details on the form.
The application process for non-resident Australian citizens and Foreign Nationals is different to that for resident directors. If this is you, we will be required to complete the process manually and your documents will need to be submitted as certified copies. Please do not provide original documents as these will not be returned to you.
All identity documents are required to be in English, which may require a translation and then a certification of the translation. The identification documents may also need to be confirmed as satisfactory so we recommend you contact our office before commencing this process.
The ABRS recognises the restrictions and challenges faced due to the pandemic and has adopted a flexible approach as such if you are having difficulties certifying your documents you can contact the ABRS (from November 2021) for assistance and support.
The following people are authorised to certify your identity documents outside Australia:
- Notary Publics
- Staff at your nearest Australian embassy, high commission or consulate, including consulates headed by Austrade honorary consults.
To assist you we’ve prepared a guide to download and share.
We’re here to help. Please contact Hall Chadwick should you have any queries or require any assistance in relation to this process +61 2 9263 2600.